First inhabitants

The eldest testimonies of the human presence in the zone of the park belong to the culture of Redemello (between XXI and XIX century b.C.) Since the XIII Century b.C. the zone is inhabited by the populations of the culture of Canegrate and later, since the IV century b.C., by Insubrian Celts.

The Roman Period 

The numerous necropoleis rediscovered in the zone are of this period, some of which let hypothesize the presence of prosperous artisan and commercial centers, thanks to the position along the Olona river and the road axis that linked Milano to Angera. Reclamation and deforestation of wide areas, rapid development of the agriculture.

Early Middle Ages

  The Roman Empire's decadence and the arrival of the Langobards implicated the decrease of the population, of the commercial trades and the cultivated areas during the whole Early Middle-Ages. The Christian faith spreads across the zone between the IV and the V century. Parabiago and Nerviano hire the role of parish chief respectively since VIII and since XI century.

Late Middle Ages and Renaissance

The communes of the Northern Italy, getting together in the Lombard League, defeated the emperor Frederick I Barbarossa's army in 1176, who aimed at affirming his dominion on them. In 1339 the Battle of Parabiago was fought  and won by the Milaneses, guided by Luchino Visconti who fought against the uncle Lodrisio. The agriculture restarted to play a role, based on the cultivation of cereals, vine and, sicne the XV century, of the mulberry for the silkworm breeding. Numerous cloisters and religious orders rise up.

Spanish domination

In 1582 San Carlo shifts the Parish from Parabiago to Legnano. Between 1576 and 1577 and in 1630 terribile plagues affect the Milanese territory and the Park. After the Counter_Reformation there were demolitions and reconstructions of churches and convents. In 1603 the waters of the river Bozzente are carried into the Borromeo cavity.

Austrian domination

L'attività molitoria trova un rapido incremento. Nel 1772 il Conserzio del fiume Olona censiva 118 mulini lungo tutto il corso del fiume.

French domination

At the end of 1700 the religious orders which until that moment had held the convent and the church of Saint Ambrose in Parabiago , Saint Mary of the Angels and Saint and Saint Clare in Legnano, the Olivetan monastery in Legnano, were suppressed. Improvement of Sempione road.

Ascent of the Industry

In 1800 spinning mills and factories spread along the Olona, earlier textile, later mechanical. Agricultural crisis after the Unification of Italy. The vine disappears almost completely. First strikes of workmen. The railway(1860) and the tram(1880) link the towns of the Park to Milan City. In 1884 Villoresi is inaugurated. First footwear factory in Parabiago(1899).

First World War and Mussolini's dictatorship

During the I World War lots of soldiers of this place die. Conversion of the local industry to warlike purposes. The 20's see the achievement of the fascist regime. Dissolution of the democratic institutions, suppression of the press freedom and persecution of the political enemies. Building of numerous public works as the Milano Laghi one of the first highways in the world. After the silk decline, the breeding of silkworms and almost all the mulberry rows disappear.

Second World War

Numerous people, civilians too, lose their life during the II World War. Resistance fight against the nazi-fascists. Some deportations to concentration camps and murders of partisans.

The Post-War

In the period after the War a civil and political recovery was witnessed. With the advent of the '50s the economic boom began. An increase of the population is due to a strong immigration from other Italian regions. Construction of numerous public works. the growing pollution of the waters of the river Olona deprive it of every form of superior life. The urbanization, also in floodable zones an the waterproofing of the urban surfaces increased their dangerousness and their overflows. Memorable are those of 1882, 1951, 1995, 2002. In 1976 the Wood Park in Legnano was recognized  (known as Parco Castello-Castle Park).

The Eighties

The redrafting of the textile, mechanical and footwear industry. The agriculture becomes an always more marginal sector of the economy. The population and the urbanized areas keep increasing. The wetlands areas, the mill's acequias and the mills disappear. Growing water-regulation of the river's banks. In 1987 Parco Alto Milanese(North-Milan Park) is recognized.

The nineties and the new millennium

In 1994 Roccolo Park was founded. The population grows thanks to the immigration from the Milanese hinterland and from non-Europian territories. Further deindustrialization. In 2008, Mills' Park was recognized including also the wood of Legnano. The fishes return to populate the Olona river.

Seguici su FacebookSeguici su twitterSeguici su web album di PicasaSeguici su FlickrSeguici su You Tube